Friday, January 21, 2011

What was I thinking?

I've had this fabric for several months, but never had a quilt "need" until now. We just upgraded to a King-size bed and so my queen size coverlets are too small. I even bought a duvet cover, but I'm going to take it back and make this:
in these fabrics:The top left print was my inspiration. They're all from Joann's, except the bottom left print, which used to be a twin fitted sheet that I got at Savers. I'm pretty sure Kristin donated it. And the circle of life continues.

Here is my progress so far:

check out these other versions of the same pattern:



The funny thing is that while folks were out getting bread and milk before the snow hit yesterday, I was hurrying out to get batting, backing, and fabric for a bedskirt and pillowcases. Priorities, people!

My problem now: how am I going to quilt this huge thing after it's pieced?

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! I've been told Kings are challenges. My MIL (in UT) has a quilting machine, but it only does up to a queen. I know there's a quilting store by the Stake Center that lets you rent and use their machine and pay by the hour. It will take about an hour to set up and who knows how long to actually get it done. Our RS President sends all her quilts to a lady out of state and pays for her to do it. Then you just need to bind it. I don't knowhow much that costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. I've actually used the Gammill long-arm quilter at Pinwheel Fabrics. They charge $20/hr and I did a twin size in 3 hours. I may have to break down and do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't wait to see it all finished! i love the combination your chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. our friend at stitchin post has a good connection for quilting. i believe she said she even provides the batting. i'm going there in a few and get more info...btw, it looks really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it, Emily! I can't wait to see it all finished up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that pattern online and fell in love! Can't wait to see it finished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin - what did you find out?

    Rachel - do you want to borrow the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  8. she wasn't working today...i'll check tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!!! The fabric choice is awsome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is going to be beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way, Em, last time I was in the Stitching Post, the lady from the Benton Ward said you had just been in there. :) Funny thing is we bought some of the same fabric (the lollipop tree from Sugar Pop). It's nice to have a good connection there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's funny, Becca. I had gone in there because I was getting tired of my stash. I called the Stitchin' Post today and was trying to remember her name. They recommended a place called Jubilee in Sherwood.

    ReplyDelete