Friday, January 7, 2011

My Quilting Essentials

We talked about a basic quilting how-to post as we giggled that some of us didn't know that the standard quilting seam allowance was 1/4". See, I was the opposite! I learned how to sew quilts way before I learned to sew clothes and so my first clothing project went horribly wrong in the sizing because I had no idea that most patterns use a 5/8" seam allowance! :)

I don't know where everyone's comfort level is with quilting or sewing. So, I'll start with my essential supplies.

I love my rotary cutter. I use it for everything. It has a lovely trigger handle, a safety button, and when I misplace it and have to use my old one, I am sad.
I bought a cutting mat years ago, and it's just now starting to show signs of wear. Strings are starting to get caught in some of the deeper gouges. I am thankful that I had the foresight to buy the bigger size-mine is about 2' by 3'. When I use my mom's I always get frustrated at how small hers is!
I have the Olipfa cutting ruler and I wouldn't go any other way! It has a lip on the edge that helps me line up my fabric, it's as wide as my mat so I can cut along the full length rather than using a smaller ruler.

Other must haves: I love my magnetic pin cushion so I can just toss my pins on it, GOOD scissors that are only for cutting fabric, and graphing paper to sketch your ideas and do your math.
In searching for my block design, I found a great glossary with clear explanations about what exactly the selvedge is and other sewing mysteries!

I'm certainly no expert and I know that I'm among some very very talented sewers here, but if you're a newbie, let us know what questions you have!


1 comment:

  1. Maybe I'll be able to quilt after all since I alway own all those supplies. Great tutorial, liz!

    ReplyDelete