Sunday, March 6, 2016

Hello there!

So I thought I would add my own introduction to the others that have been made.  My name is Amy C. and I currently live in a small village just south of Zurich, Switzerland.  We have lived here for over 15 years and it just keeps getting better and better. I am the mother to 5 kids, ranging in age from 17 to 8. 
This is us in Utah this fall making a quick visit to see family. I am lucky to be a full-time stay at home mom, although for the past few years I have been working one morning a quarter up at the school checking the kids for lice. :)

My first sewing class was in Mrs. Allen's Home Economics class in 7th grade.  Half the year we sewed, the other half we cooked.  I made a skirt and got an A+ on it, then went on to sew a couple more skirts through my high school years, but then completely stopped.  When my oldest daughter was about to turn 8 I sewed her a baptism dress as we were living in a country that didn't have that sort of thing available anywhere and ordering one online was too expensive and risky.
My friend helped me cut out the pattern pieces, and then I sewed the thing together on my $100 sewing machine I bought to sew on cards. (I am a huge paper crafter as well.)  Here it is being worn by the third girl. Pretty soon I was sewing lots of clothes for my daughters as all the "cute" clothes available in the stores didn't come in their sizes anymore.

I learned lots of things by watching vidoes on Youtube made by talented ladies who didn't mind sharing their skills with the rest of us.  That morphed into watching quilting videos and I decided to just make each of my kids a quilt for their beds, which I did and quilted them on my home machine because no way was I paying someone to quilt them for me.  Then I made a quilt for my husband, then one for me, and then I was buying fabric like a crazy person and sewing quilts just for the fun of it.  I will occasionally give a baby quilt away, and have even sold a couple, but there are more just sitting there waiting for who knows what.  I also still sew lots of clothing for my kids.

I was super excited when I was invited to join this quilting group as I had been following the blog for a while, admiring all the beautiful creations and the skill that was involved.  It has been so fun to receive those fat little envelopes in the mail filled with fabric-y goodness and know that I "have" to go spend some time in my sewing room. haha!

When I am not sewing, I am usually reading a book,  or making cards.  In between housework, taxi duty, and other responsibilities of course. Oh, and I do cross-stitch, but that seems to come and go in stages.  Sometimes I feel like it, sometimes I don't.  But I never get rid of crafting supplies, I might use it someday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment