Sunday, July 1, 2012

July- We all scream for ICE CREAM

I had such a blast trying to figure out what to do for my month. I had all these fun ideas that I thought would have been great and then the practical side of me would take over and say, " where would I put that? or that wouldn't go with that room.."  silly right?  Then I had an idea that would be fun to do, not very time consuming for the fun filled summer months, and the practical side of me would be happy as well. 

History for it goes like this:  I have three kids who don't look anything alike..seriously.  my first is a thick-haired-toe head, my second is a ringlety-red/strawberry/sherbert/gold-head, and then my third came out a dark-straight-thin head.  My aunt on seeing them said, "you have neopaliten kids",  I have called them that ever since. 
 (this was taken at a park today...my red heads hair is in braids so you can't see the curl..but sadly, this is one of the only pictures of them together taken recently. )

...soooo, I wanted to incorporate my kids in this quilt, being my first and all. and this is why the ice cream quilt was picked.

 Everyone by now should have received a 'scoop' and 'cone' cut out.  (let me know if you didn't. Teriney I sent yours with your June square, hopefully its to you by now.)

My goal in this quilt is that my kids are represented as well as You. (feel free to tweak the scoops, they were really more of a measurment then anything)

1.  pick out a solid fabric (somethat that says 'you'), cut 14x14
2.  pick out a fabric that looks like a cone to you, use iron- heat transfer paper and then cut out three cones. please make the cone fabric all the same
(I cut out all my fabric and did the heat transfering at the same time..)
3. pick out material that represents vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, use iron- heat transfer paper and then cut out three of each (with each flavor you can choose the same fabric, or different as long as the 'flavor' is being represented)

4.  decide your placement and then heat transfer your cones on the 14x14 fabric, and then do the same with the scoops. please leave a 1 inch boarder around the 14x14 fabric
 You can choose how you want them stacked as long as each cone has three scoops on it
example- 3 chocolate on one cone....one vanilla and two strawberries on one cone...etc.


5. stitch around the cone edges, and the individual scoop edges




Thats it!! 
Any questions please let me know.(sorry if it's over- explained..its my first tutorial) and again, I want this to be fun and a way to show who you are in your square.
Thank You 
 I can't wait to see what you come up with.
ps. my address is different from the list emailed originally. It is now 110 raft island dr nw, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
-much love
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am so excited to work on this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super duper excited about this. I love your address, by the way. Sounds like a dreamy place to live...lots of sand, water, picnics and ice cream cones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. camie, you've got it right. she lives on a little tiny island. it is a very sweet little place!

      Delete
  3. Sarah, I think this sounds fun. I have not received my scoop and cone however... look forward to receiving them.

    ReplyDelete