Thursday, December 27, 2012

help me please, jen!

Hi Jen (or other experienced quilting friends),
I didn't want to risk my question not being seen so I decided to make a post out of it.
I have cut out my 8 kites out of kona white and glued them onto my white paper triangles.  I have re-read the next instruction many times...
"With the print-edge of the selvage facing the edge of the kite, sew selvage on 1/8 in seam allowance. 1/8 is tricky to sew... slow and steady is my suggestion."
I have studied the photo but I still am unsure how to proceed.
I assume we line up the edge of the white kona with the edge of the selvage fabric.  Should the selvage fabric be a certain width?
Next question... you said, "Please make sure your print is facing the kite (I understand that part) and not your selvage edge (not sure about that part). I made this mistake and had to start over a few times."  Could you please clarify?  If you made a mistake here I surely could! : )
I'm ready to go!
Thanks!
Camie

3 comments:

  1. Camie - I have been without power for four days, but will probably start on Jen's square tomorrow. Did you already start? I'm just guessing here, but I think the "print-edge" of the selvage just means that it's not the factory-finished edge with words on it, but the edge that you cut.

    In the original post, she said to cut the selvages so that between .5" and .75" of fabric would be showing beyond the unprinted selvage.

    As far as the selvage edge not facing the kite, I think that means that she wants the cut edge sewn to the kite so the words all face one direction.

    does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! That's great. I kept mulling it over and over in my head and I had come to those conclusions but I did not want to start without being totally certain- I have been nervous about this block however once I got the template ready it didn't seem so overwhelming. The wording you used for how to cut the selvages was perfect! Maybe I can get it started today. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Camie, I am just seeing this post. With Christmas and my brother being in town, I have not checked blogs at all. Thank you Emily. Emily answered both questions accurately.

    ReplyDelete