Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June Block: Bottled Rainbows

Yippee!  It's my turn!!  Can you tell I'm super excited??
For my pick, I'd like to do a modified Bottled Rainbows quilt, as seen on the blog, Stitched in Color.
The link shows a "quilt as you go" method, constructing each square with the batting.  However, for my quilt, I prefer we just piece the top together as we've done before (no batting).  Also, my measurements are a little different from the Stitched in Color tutorial.  So, while the link is a good visual reference, make sure you are looking at my instructions when you start cutting!
If you're not already familiar with Bottled Rainbows, you'll basically be using scraps to make a  fabric mosaic.  By now, everyone should have their assigned color.  If you need some help gathering enough scraps for your color, I'd be happy to send some from my stash.  

A few specifics:

  • Please use white thread, regardless of your assigned color.
  • I'd prefer your scraps to be angled, not curved or round .
  • The spacing between the scraps doesn't need to be uniform, but please keep them under ¼”.
  • It's okay if your scraps vary slightly in shade from the frame color, but I would prefer that you not use fabric that is DARKER than the frame.
  • I'd really love it if all the scraps were printed fabrics (I don't mind if the fabrics are textured), but please keep solids out.
  • Generally, I like vintage inspired prints, ditsy prints, polka dots, stripes and florals.  I shy away from watercolor looking prints, prints with a lot of black or metalic in them, really bold or juvenile prints.  But, overall, I hope you will be able to pull most of what you use from your stash or swap with friends.

What I like is more like this:

Less like this:


Hope you have fun with this!  Here's the one I made:

Bottled Rainbows Block-- Becca's Instructions

Fabric Measurements:
(2)     2 ½” x 15 ¾” strips of color fabric
(2)     2 ½” x 11 ½” strips of color fabric
(1)      12 x 11 ½” square of white fabric
Lots of scraps, of any size-- the main colors of the scraps should reflect the color of the strips

Directions:
  • Sew the short (11 ½”) strips to the short (11 ½”) sides of the white square and press seams
  • Sew the long (15 ¾”) strips to the long (12”) sides of the white square and press seams
  • The white square should now be framed with the colored strips
  •  Lay out scraps within the white square, trimming and shaping the pieces to fit like a mosaic.  
  •  Once you are satisfied with the layout, use a washable glue stick to secure the pieces onto the white square.  
  •  Use a small zig-zag to stitch around the edge of each scrap, attaching them to the white square
  • You should have a finished square that is approximately 15”x15 ½”.  Do NOT trim.

3 comments: