Tuesday, February 2, 2016

pine tree block

Hi ladies-
Thank you for helping me make this quilt. When I saw it I knew I wanted to have one for myself.  It seems very Oregon-inspired to me (found here):

My quilt will be slightly different because it will have all grey trees (again, Pacific Northwest inspired and will look great in my bedroom hung over a chair where you can look out the window and see plenty of pine trees).  I was hoping for different shades of grey but alas my Joanns only carries one true grey and in one shade.  I may need to shop around.

I am planning on using a beautiful grey/ecru fabric with doves that my cousin Emily (in this group) used in one of her quilts.  I am so happy to incorporate it and use it as the backing and in a quilt she'll be helping to make!


To make the blocks perfectly uniform, I'm going to have you paper piece the triangle block and make four of them for me.  I have already made all the trunks using strips of fabric which was super fast and easy so I didn't see the point in each of you taking the time to paper piece those pieces.

I'm going to need the addresses of our newcomers so I can send them their fabrics and pattern. I'll send those out asap. (I am sending a little extra fabric for everyone only because I've made mistakes on previous quilt blocks and have had to have people send me extra fabric...oops!)

Here's the tutorial:


This is the template you'll use to make the triangle block.

You'll place the gray fabric under the white paper template.


Place the ecru fabric under the gray at an angle so when you sew the line between 1 & 2 then press the ecru fabric open, the entire area 2 will be covered.  You might want to check to see if it will cover the area as seen in the next picture.

Here I've folded the ecru fabric so I am certain that when I sew on the line then iron open the area will be covered.

Sew on the line back-stitching at the beginning and at the end, please.  Fold over the white paper.  You'll be using the white paper as a guide to trim 1/4" edge as you'll see in the next picture.

Using your ruler, trim so there's a 1/4" seam allowance.

Iron open.

Now you're ready to tackle the other side.  Place the ecru under the grey so that when you sew the line between 1 & 3 then iron open, the cream will cover the entire area.

Sew on the line, back-stitching at the beginning and end, please.

Fold the paper back and trim at 1/4" seam allowance.

Iron open.

Using the white paper as a guide, trim around the paper.

You're almost there.
Turn your paper over.

Remove the paper from the fabric.  You'll be glad you back-stitched so you don't pull any of your stitches out.

You did it!







Since I knew I could use strips of fabric instead of paper piecing the trunks I went ahead and made all the trunks. (For my future reference, I used 1" strip of brown and two 2 1/4" strips of cream.  I cut across the strips at 2 1/4".)  I'll attach them to the four triangles you send me.

Tree in 2 pieces.

Finished tree!

If I missed anything please let me know!
XOXO,
Camie



















1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Camie. Look's really pretty. Sending an email tonight to the group. Should get us started at least.

    ReplyDelete